Thursday, June 12, 2008

1 of the 7 Wonders of the World

At the end of May, I had the pleasure of joining Connor and his 4th grade classmates on a field trip to Niagara Falls. It was a great day, a nice chance to enjoy an experience with Connor and create some memories together. The day started with a visit to Fort Niagara. I had never been there and it was a neat place to tour. I think it's a safe bet to say that the boys loved the "war /battle" element of this portion of the trip. The gift shop had a large selection of muskets, rifles, etc.

Next, we were onto the Aquarium... and I use that term loosely! I have been to a few aquariums in my life so far, so maybe I am spoiled?! We walked into the building and were instantly overcome by the pungent fish smell. You know the kind of smell that feels as though you will have to scrub it off your body, hair and teeth! SERIOUSLY - gross! And you can imagine the comments from the parents! The animals looked as though they were in "rescue" stage of their lives than the "display" stage. Penguins had the mange, some of the fish were missing eyes and had large growths protruding from their bodies. The highlight was the sea lion show and the kids loved it.

Another 4th grade teacher took 2 of Connor's buddies, their Mom's, Connor and I on a "secret" mission. We left the aquarium and took a hike along the trail by the river. There was a small path that branched off the trail and took us right to the edge of the bank of the river. The water was very calm, and beautiful shades and blue and green. I was a nervous wreck because I didn't think that Connor realized just how much of a drop off it was and that there was no railing, fence, etc. I did not get a picture, which I regret because it was so peaceful and beautiful. The boys felt very special to have this opportunity.

We boarded the buses again and headed to the Falls! We did the Maid of the Mist tour. I think that I was as excited as the kids... this is something I have always wanted to do. We donned our blue ponchos and took wagers on just how wet we thought that we would get. Carefully observing all those who were disembarking the boats prior to us. I'm not sure if
this next senario would have played out the same way if I was with MaKenna and her girlfriends. You can probably guess where the boys all wanted to be on the boat!? Yep, right up front on the lower level. They had surveyed as many of the Mist's employees to see where the best spot was to stand. The information that they gathered was "spot on"! As you can see, we got wet! The boys thought that it was "cool" that their Mom's ventured to the front with them [little did they know that we wouldn't have had it any other way... unsupervised, at the front of a boat that goes into the Falls????]It was so much fun and absolutely amazing!
What a great day! I will cherish this time spent together for a long time!



1 comment:

Lynn said...

looks like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing those pics of the boys AND the moms!
xo

We wanted to share what was going on in our lives.