Monday, July 21, 2008

Time Well Spent


Hour-glass
Originally uploaded by didixx28
A little background before I start this post. Because I am the so to speak "low man on the totem pole" in the "vacation time" requests in my office, we have had to jockey our typical summer plans this year.
The kids have been so anxious about making their annual trek to Cedar Lake for a visit with Mimi and Gampie. We headed out Friday when I got out of work. We arrived in enough time for Connor, Rick and Gampie to hit the lynx and try out their very best Tiger impressions. Meanwhile MaKenna, Mom and I took to trying our best at a "make-shift" nail salon. Mimi is quite the manicurist! I think that every shade of nail polish that Mimi owns ended up on either MaKenna's finger or toe nails.
Saturday morning and Mom and I headed out for a walk around the block, while Rick and the kids headed to the beach. It was a great day at the beach. Plenty of sun, sand creations galore - even a full sand body cast for Connor [possible pis to follow] and enough swimming to make me check and see if my children had grown gills!
Saturday evening and Gampie took the kids back out on the golf course. MaKenna's goal was to be able to be included with her brother [you never know what you may miss out on, ya know!]. Also, to get her Gampie to go "really fast" in the golf cart! Connor has been frustrated with his golf game [if he only knew, that's more than half the battle with this game]. His buddies have been shooting better rounds in their weekly Jr. golf league. Connor is convinced that is because of size and the fact that he is shorter than the rest of his buddies. We have been trying to tell him differently, but to no avail. Gampie to the rescue! I had told Connor that he should ask Gampie for some pointers as Gampie coached golf for many years. Well, it worked. When the crew returned they were smiling from ear to ear. Ready for this one....???
Connor had a birdie [one under par for those of you who are not golfers] from the jr.'s tee on hole #16. He drove it just before the green and chipped it up and in the hole> MaKenna said that Gampie yelled so loud that it blew her ear out! Connor has carried that ball around with him ever since. Wow! Lots of memories came flooding back to me. Hole #16 is where my Dad [an avid golfer and who passed away in 1992] had his only hole in one. There is a sports award plaque that used to hang in the TV room of our old house that had a picture of my Dad, Grandpa and brother that was taken on the day that he made the hole-in-one. Rick and I had some of our wedding pics taken on that green as well.
MaKenna swam and swam some more. She has decided that she will take the infamous raft swim test next summer so that she can swim out to the raft and play dibble dabble [i'll explain in a later post].
It was fun to be back to my old summer hang out! Lots of memories to share... sometime soon. For now, it was a treat to witness our children enjoying the place and some of the things that hold a very special place in my heart!

No comments:

We wanted to share what was going on in our lives.