Monday, February 11, 2008

A Love Hate Relationship...

That's probably the best way for me to describe my feelings about To Do Lists.

I love the fact that when I start to make the list it is a sense of relief to put it to paper. The items are "safe & secure",not to be lost in the busy compartments of my brain. The list always starts out very optimistic. Lots of items that range from the normal routine, daily chores to the "I've been wanting to get this done". The list also provides some sanity. Once I have created the list I don't have to continually say to myself "don't forget, oh, I have to remember..." over and over again.


I hate the fact that creating the To Do List is an another vehicle to contribute to my "driven" trait. It's also a form of control I suppose. And because it is written it is another way for me to measure whether a task has been completed or not a.k.a. success vs. failure. My lists tend to have lots of items with unrealistic time lines.

So with all of the above being said I am not willing to give up my To Do Lists quite yet! I'll take the bad with the good [isn't that how most relationships work anyways? Compermise!!!] I'll just try to be fair in creating my lists and maybe I won't cause unnecessary stress on myself. I have been busy creating my "mental" to do lists because of my return to the outside the home work force. I'll probably put it to paper soon as to not continue the Mind Olympics that is taking place right now.
    1. Post a Blog Entry - done
    2. Glue Drawers - done
    3. Organize Mud Room Closet - done
    4. Laundry/ Ironing - is ever done?
  • I won't bore you with anymore.

1 comment:

Rob said...

Being the nerd that I am, I keep my ToDo list on Google Docs, since I live in constant fear of losing the piece of paper.

The downside is that everytime I'm on a computer with an internet connection I feel obliged to check my list at a rate that is borderline OC. I even use the cross-out font button to cross things off the list. :)

We wanted to share what was going on in our lives.