Sunday, January 27, 2008

Optimism?

"I know I probably should
have outgrown this by now, but somehow I'm always surprised when someone - or
something - lets me down. If you are constitutionally optimistic, as I
apparently am, you expect a certain something [call it quality functionality]
from the things and the people that surround you, which in itself is not such a
bad trait. But what accompanies sunny optimism all too often is the surprising
disappointment that comes when something - or someone fails you. You think
to yourself, Well, I should have seen that one coming. But you never
learn, and then it happens again.
The upside is that you start to develop The List.
That is, the list of people and things that don't ever disappoint. There is
something comforting about the old-faithfuls on the List; they bring their own
kind of order to a messy world."

I read this article of sorts in a magazine not to long ago and it has resonated with me. I can identify with so many of the statements above and dare say that I have spoken similar words before. I like the fact that the author or the above entry takes the positive spin on her trait rather than finding fault with herself. Truly an optimist, I suppose!

This made me wonder about my List. I'll share some of the List with you and please note that they are random, none more important than the other.

Seltzer Water - just enough carbonation, refreshing and thirst quenching & ZERO calories.

A Nap - if you get the chance to enjoy one, you're never disappointed in how refreshed you feel after one.

Baby Shampoo & Lotion - smells so clean and takes you back.

A Morning Cup of Coffee - so warm in your hands, comforting and a great way to start the day.

Exercise - say goodbye to stress, toxins and some calories all at once!

Swimming - my standby, head down in the water, quiet, alone in your thoughts, all while the water rushes and swirls around & over your body.

Blistex - love the stuff!

my Faith - this has grown on me - through trial and tribulation.

I'll stop now because the List goes on! Hope that I have left you will something to ponder.

3 comments:

Rob said...

Blistex - I think it's spelled the way it's pronounce - Bullistex. How's that for an inside joke? :)

JessW said...

Rob,
Your comment is over my head, call it duh?? explain as I don't remember.
How's Italy? How's everyone onthe home front?

Rob said...

I can't remember his name - the Utica Blue Sox player that you and Sarah were friends with - anyways I remember a story about you guys giving him a hard time because he kept calling it Bulistex. I guess that was a truly inside story. :)

Things are going good - I have some good stories I'll have to blog about when I get a bit more time.

We wanted to share what was going on in our lives.