Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"They Say It's your Birthday"....

I have to say that my perspective about my birthday has changed. When this change occurred I am not sure but I think it happened sometime after becoming a parent. As a child having a birthday that fell two weeks after Christmas didn't phase me at all. It was kinda handy in the materialistic sense that I could have another opportunity to ask for something that I didn't receive at Christmas. Now as a parent I feel like I am still winding down from the Christmas Holiday when my birthday comes around. It's like it almost sneaks up on me. I find myself down playing the pomp & circumstance. By the way, I am totally okay with this! But, remember that I have a 9 & 5 year old and they LOVE celebrations! They were so excited about my birthday that it was comical! MaKenna's teacher said that there wasn't a day that went by for the entire week before my birthday that she did not tell her and her classmates! So adorable!
I don't have any hang ups about turning a certain age. My parents have never been age obsessed people and have led very active lives. So my example has been that age is only a number. I prefer to look at each birthday as another chance to improve who I am and make a difference in this world and in the lives of the people who matter to me.
So my birthday started with a wake up phone call from my sister Sarah who was calling all the way from Baghdad, Iraq! I was so over come with relief and joy to hear her voice! Hard to explain how it feels to hear her and know that she is "okay"! It was the best birthday gift I could have ever gotten. The beautiful birthday flowers pictured above were sent to me from Sarah and Jason. They have brightened up our home! You can't help but to smile when you look at them.
Next, Rick, the kids and the dogs and I went down to Hemlock Lake and hiked/walked the East side of the lake. It was not skiing conditions so we settled for the walk. It was great! We took the kids to see the Bee Movie - very cute. We ended the night with a nice dinner. It was a wonderful day that was relaxing and quality family time.

4 comments:

Donna said...

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Jessica...Happy Birthday to you! (sung to you by me off key as always :) So glad to hear you heard from Sarah, what a great present!

Tracy said...

Best wishes for another GREAT YEAR! Happy Birthday to you!

Lynn said...

What an exciting way to start your birthday....you had to be beside yourself to hear from Sarah! So glad she's ok!

Lynn said...

oh, one other thing that I thought of when I read your posting was that you are doing such a great job raising your kids seeing as they are just as happy giving (to help their mom celebrate her bday) as receiving. That must make you very proud!

We wanted to share what was going on in our lives.